2017 MARTIN LYSICRATES PRIZE ENTRY INFORMATION
The Martin Lysicrates Prize requires the submission of the first act of a new play and a brief description of how you anticipate the story developing. The winning entry will receive a full commission to develop a draft of the work ($15,000).
About the Prize
• Entry to the competition is open to any writer who has had two or more mainstage (professional) productions.
• A team of readers will produce a long list to give to the judging panel.
• The panel will select a shortlist of three plays.
• These plays will receive several days’ rehearsal by professional actors and directors.
• The first act of each of the three works will be performed at the Lennox Theatre at Riverside Theatres, Parramatta.
• The audience will vote for the winning play.
• The winning playwright will receive a full commission from Griffin and the two runners-up will receive a cash prize of $1,000 each.
1. Be the first act of a full length play (approximately 15-20 pages or 15 minutes).
2. Be written for a maximum of 6 performers (may have more characters if cast doubling possible).
3. Be unproduced and unpublished.
4. Be unencumbered by agreements for future production or publication.
5. Not have won, or been shortlisted for, another Australian playwriting competition.
6. Be written by a playwright who is a citizen or permanent resident of Australia.
Terms and Conditions
1. Playwrights may submit only one (1) play for consideration.
2. The decision of the judging panel and voting public is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
3. The work must be submitted electronically via the online form (see below).
4. Griffin Theatre Company and the National Theatre of Parramatta shall have world-wide first right of refusal to produce the winning play for a period of 12 months following the completion of the commissioned draft.
5. Plays or performance texts submitted may be original ideas or adaptations from other forms providing that permission to adapt the material has been obtained from the copyright holder.
IN SENDING US YOUR PLAY AND ENTRY FORM YOU ASSURE US THAT YOU HAVE READ THE CONDITIONS OF ENTRY FOR THE LYSICRATES MARTIN PRIZE, DECLARE YOUR ELIGIBILITY UNDER THE CONDITIONS AND AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS LISTED.
Your entry must include the following:
1. An electronic copy of the script uploaded as a pdf. It should have a cover page featuring the title of the script and your full name. The pages should be numbered. There should be a character list indicating any necessary doubling.
2. A brief synopsis or description of how you anticipate the story developing (approximately 200 words). Please ensure your name and the title of your play is at the top of this page.
Submit your entry electronically HERE by 5pm on Friday 18th August 2017.